How to Create a UWorld Journal

12:35 PM

WILDBERRY


Hello!


This time last year I was totally immersed in my Step 1 studying, as I know may of you second years out there are - don't worry you'll get through it :). I wanted to write a blog post about how to make a UWorld journal since I've gotten a few questions on it recently. I feel that it was so critical in my success on Step 1 that I want to share it with others. In my research before starting my own I gathered that a good "journal" needed to have a few key components. These are: 1) the main question or concept, 2) key facts that help you understand that concept, 3) any figures or images that will help you remember or learn it.


Because UWorld doesn't allow you to copy & paste, you must be selective about what to include in your journal. Theoretically you could make an entry for each question, but that would take a ton of time - time you frankly don't have! So make sure to only make an entry for questions that surprised you, taught you something, or you know you won't remember. If you know a concept trust yourself and move forward. Successful Step 1 studying is as much about organization / efficiency as it is about knowledge. This is your time to put the skills that make you an expert learner to the test. It's also a good thing that UWorld doesn't let you to just copy content because it forces you to put things into your own words and flow. Also, when it comes to images or tables in a UWorld explanation, you'll have to create the tables on your own and hand draw any figures you find helpful - just one more strategy to commit concepts to memory.


When I studied for Step 1, I created tests that were single-subject. For example, if I was getting through the cardiovascular section, I would create a test of just the anatomy and finish those questions before moving on. I've continued this trend while studying for shelf exams while using the Step 2 UWorld Qbank. It's been a great resource to be able to review my shelf UWorld journals before each exam.


Here's an example of a few journal entries during the Medicine section in UWorld, specifically the GI questions:



For simplicity and efficiency I use Google Docs for all of my UWorld journals, and organize them by topics. That way I don't take up space on my computer AND I can access them wherever I am on my iPad or phone. I know some student like other programs like Evernote, etc so do whatever works best for you! When it comes to figures, I like to have blank sheets of paper on hand as well as my fine tip markers to draw them out. I actually learn so much by drawing them out myself especially because it helps me visualize the actual figure later when I have a question on it.


I hope this post helps with clearing up what exactly a UWorld journal is, though the details will vary from person to person. Remember that this is a tool and if you find yourself spending so much time on it that it keeps you from learning efficiently, it's okay to try other things. If it works for you that's fantastic too :)


Good luck studying!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Copyright 2017. All images and opinions are my own unless otherwise noted. Please contact me if you'd like to use any of my content.