So you got an interview - what do you wear?

12:27 PM

For you ladies out there who have gotten an interview (congrats!) or are simply thinking ahead, another dilemma awaits you: what do you wear? You’ve probably read blogs or forums giving you the basics on interview attire for women. I, too, read these and was still pretty confused. Honestly I was a little jealous of how easy the guidelines were for men. So hopefully I can help with a few do’s and don’ts of what to wear to your med school interview.


Whether we like it or not, our first impression is important. A clean, put-together look is imperative. A look that isn’t professional or even worse, sloppy, will hurt you. A friend / classmate of mine and I were discussing this topic recently. She had been interviewing prospective students at one of our interview days and was shocked at how much the initial physical impression affected the rest of the interview. Your interviewer should not be distracted by your appearance. On the contrary, your first impression should be a positive one so that the rest of the interview can focus on what you’re saying, your strengths as a person, and why you’ll make a great future physician.


Dress professionally. You will likely end up wearing some kind of suit, either a pantsuit or a skirt suit. Whichever you choose doesn’t really matter as long as it suits your shape and you feel confident. East coast interviews tend to be more “traditional” and it is common knowledge that a skirt suit is preferred for women. Personally, I wore my pantsuit on my East coast interviews because I prefer them. Bottom line: pick a suit style that fits your personal style and comfort level - you’re going to look great regardless. Great places to look are Dillards, Macy’s, Express, Banana Republic, J Crew. I got mine from Express, similar here. Although I chose to wear a black suit, other colors are options as well. As long as you keep it simple, grays and dark blues can look amazing.


FullSizeRender copy                 FullSizeRender


As far as a blouse is concerned, choose a color that won’t be distracting. Most people opt for white. I personally chose a white silk blouse with black lining. In retrospect, I wish I had worn a color that I liked instead of what I thought was expected.  However, if you know you look amazing in a more bold color go for it. You can always maintain a professional look while staying true to your personal style.


Heels. Even if you’re an expert in walking in heels, try to keep your heels under 3.5 inches. You will likely be walking a lot during your interview day and you want to be as comfortable as possible. Remember, you want to be your best that day and painful heels will definitely distract you. I loved the heels I wore on all of my interviews, but made the mistake of not breaking them in before my very first interview. It was awful - so many blisters! I wore them to all of my interviews and still use them for clinics or conferences. Investing in a good quality heel will pay off in comfort, style, and longevity.


Flats + Wedges. Though heels are more common along the interview trail, flats are certainly a great alternative. To be honest, half way through most interviews I was pretty jealous of the other interviewees in flats or wedges. If you do choose to wear flats with pants make sure the pants are short enough so they won’t be dragging under your shoes.


FullSizeRender (1)Hair + Nails. Keeping your hair simple is key. If your hair is long or you find that it gets in your face often, consider pulling it back into a ponytail, bun, or half-up. I have pretty long hair that falls in my face so a half-up style worked best for me, and kept me from messing with it. Nails are another area where simplicity pays off. A clean, trimmed set of nails goes a long way. If you choose to wear nail polish, go for clear or quieter colors.


Makeup. Less is definitely more when it comes to makeup. Makeup routines vary so much from person to person so it’s completely up to you what products you decide to use, but the overall goal is to be natural, put-together and clean. A fresh face, some mascara and subtle lip will go a long way. If you’re looking for inspiration, there are thousands of tutorials on YouTube, like this one.


What you wear on your interview is all about being able to feel comfortable and confident. Once you’re offered an interview you are that much closer to an acceptance. It’s a time to show why you’ll make a great fit, so it's important to make a lasting impression. It’s also important to stay true to your personal style because buying pieces that you’ll be able to use in the future is so important, especially since we are all poor students with crippling debt :). Overall, don’t let anything on your interview day distract your interviewers from what is really important: you.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Copyright 2017. All images and opinions are my own unless otherwise noted. Please contact me if you'd like to use any of my content.