Goodbye Step 1, hello summer!

4:23 AM

Hello! As of 36 hours ago I am officially finished with the USMLE Step 1! I can't explain how good it feels to not have to wake up at 6 am and study for 13-14 hours every single day. Oh yeah, and I also don't have to freak out about the most important exam of my life anymore since it's over and done with. Granted, the stress dreams haven't stopped but I'm hoping that they go away with time, lol.


The last six weeks were the most mentally exhausting of my entire life. Beyond the actual difficulty of the material there are many other elements that contribute to the challenge of studying for step 1. For example, J and I would barely have 30-40 minutes every night to recap his day and just enjoy each other's company before we had to sleep. He was so wonderful throughout this whole study period, though. He cooked every night and generally kept me sane, I seriously don't know how I could've held it together without him! I honestly don't know how students with children do it, they're the real Step 1 champs. I also felt very isolated. Not only from J, but from my family and friends. I definitely learned the true value of having a good mental and spiritual foundation before diving into such an difficult time. I learned a lot about myself and even surprised myself by being able to push through when I thought I couldn't. I'm also very glad that I put some effort into eating healthy and exercising a lot during my study period. I don't think I would have been able to stay as calm and levelheaded throughout if I hadn't taken care of my body.


Though I'm still in the process of figuring out what worked and what I would have done differently I will say this: you know more than you think. Whenever I found myself doubting my abilities or losing my confidence I would remind myself that I knew more than I thought I did. Whether it's Step 1 or your typical block exam, the key to doing your personal best is to be confident, and even a bit "cocky." I can't tell you how many times I took a practice test and had a feeling that a certain answer choice was right even though I couldn't exactly remember why, and it ended up being correct. The mind is a powerful, mysterious thing. And when you have to know as much as you need to for Step 1 you really have to listen to your brain when it's telling you something even if you can't rationalize it!


I have exactly 1 week until I start third year (crazy!), so J and I are taking a trip to San Diego to relax and hangout because I feel like I haven't really seen him this whole time. I'm excited for what this year will bring, and even more excited to be in the hospital and clinics doing some real hands-on learning. Ramadan also starts next week - I can't wait! I'm hoping it will be another Ramadan of spiritual growth and helping those in need. This is a whole new chapter in my life and I'm just excited to live it to the fullest.


Life is good. God is good. Alhamdulillah (thank God).


Here's a picture of my Step 1 study material on the left and notes from MS1 and MS2 on the right (minus the approximately 30k Firecracker flashcards I used and my iPad).


 

You Might Also Like

5 comments

  1. Thanks for sharing your experience.I am preparing for Step1.so I can imagine how releived you are.
    you deserve the much needed break. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once I finished my step 1 last year and started mentoring a few students through their MS2 year and board prep, I made sure to prepare them for the emotional exhaustion that comes with it. I felt almost betrayed that no one in my school or the older students addressed it during my prep. The last week prior, and the following 2 weeks after the exam are a big limbo of feelings. So many of my classmates bonded over the emotional drainage, relief and fear we had around Step 1, so I knew we weren't alone. Even though all of us did well, the process really rattles your confidence. Now go enjoy yourself in San Diego! And DO NOT rush to your First Aid if you randomly remember a question you had trouble with. DON'T DO IT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so wonderful that you've gotten to mentor other students through step 1! I wish I had something like that. I think you're absolutely right, step 1 will make you question yourself more than ever before, at least for me. But thank you for your kind words! I honestly can't remember any questions that gave me trouble - I think I'm repressing the memory, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you! Best of luck on your test :)!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, congratulations have a nice summer you deserve it.

    ReplyDelete

Copyright 2017. All images and opinions are my own unless otherwise noted. Please contact me if you'd like to use any of my content.