Those Before Us

11:00 PM

I've been working a lot of hours lately, and though I've thoroughly enjoyed pediatrics, it can get hard to be away from J, Melo, my family and the general comforts of being home. But I've been making an effort to keep things in perspective and truly appreciate the experiences I have.


 
This week I tried to remember that the struggles of those before us shape the paths we take in life. I think this is especially true for the children of immigrants or other groups who have overcome adversity and created a better future. I'm fortunate to be where I am and I have put my body, mind and heart through so much to get here. Nevertheless, I can't dismiss the reasons I even have the opportunity to work this hard.

 

Both of my parents started working as children. Education was something far beyond their reach. Each of them arrived in the US ready to work simply because whatever life they could find here was so much better than what they could ever achieve in Mexico. They never expected things to be easy, and their hard work has left a timeless footprint. Through them I learned the value and power of perseverance.


 
Growing up my mom, a housekeeper her whole life, made sure that my sisters and I knew that doing well in school was our only job so that we could one day earn a living with our minds instead of our health. I think that was one of the post powerful things she ever taught us.


 
No matter what you're going through, I think it's important to be mindful and appreciate what got you to there and how privileged you are to be worrying about things people only wish they could worry about.


 
Thanks, Mom.



From left to right: my sister, my mom, my youngest sister, and me.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Copyright 2017. All images and opinions are my own unless otherwise noted. Please contact me if you'd like to use any of my content.