Be Bold with Your Kindness

12:00 AM

 I was reading a profile on a neonatologist that included the quote above and it resonated with me. I’ve often been told that I’m “too nice.” I’m certainly someone who doesn’t like to offend, or impose on anyone and will do my best not to do so. But that can also hold me back in that it keeps me from being what others perceive as assertive. And the more I think about it, the more I realize I have to be proactive. My kindness and easy-going nature is not an “issue” that must be dealt with, but as a woman in medicine it is certainly something I need to acknowledge. There is often a double standard for women in general: risk being labeled bossy (or worse) by being assertive, or passive by being a normal person.


As I approach third year and the rest of my life in clinical medicine, I am committed to being more assertive while remaining kind and compassionate. Physicians are entrusted with patients’ health and lives. It requires a great deal of strength, force, and confidence to act in your patient's’ best interest no matter what. That means fighting for your patients while also listening, and empathizing with them. It’s all about striking a balance.


At my core I am a kind person. I am also a strong person. I can do extraordinary things. There are many interpretations of what being bold with your kindness can mean, but to me it means being bold with who I am and using it to elevate my goals, not hold them back.


So, whatever you are, be that. And do it boldly!



IMG_7117.JPG

You Might Also Like

5 comments

  1. I just recently stumbled across your blog and I love it! Do you mind sharing how to created your 6 week study schedule by putting the file up on your blog? I was trying to take a look at it on your instagram but it's too tiny! Keep up the great blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. mindful of medicineMay 2, 2015 at 12:12 AM

    Hi Ashley, thanks for reading my blog! I just finalized my 6 week schedule last night and am hoping to post a blog tomorrow morning with some screen shots :) I'll also share which resources I'm using, hope it helps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ashley, thanks for ready my blog! I'm planning on posting about my study plan tomorrow since its my scheduled day off! I'll include some screen shots and a list of resources. Are you taking step 1 soon?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for posting it. I'll be taking it next year. Although everyone studies differently and I'm sure I'll be using a different schedule since I need more breaks! I just wanted to see how people study for it! I'm in the UK but hoping to move to the US in a few years since my husband's job might be posting us there for awhile :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS Good luck with your test and let us know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete

Copyright 2017. All images and opinions are my own unless otherwise noted. Please contact me if you'd like to use any of my content.