4 Must-Haves for Summer Skin

1:20 AM

Hi everyone! I wanted to write at least one more blog post before taking my step 1 - study hiatus from the blog.


Anyone who knows me would tell you that I’m obsessed with skincare. Seriously, I love skin. I’m not much of a makeup person but that’s because I feel that the best makeup is actually just great skincare. My love affair with all things skin-related started while working as a clinical assistant in a dermatology practice during my last year of college. I had always taken care of my skin, but working there took my commitment and knowledge of skincare to a whole new level. It taught me a lot about mainstream “beauty” products and the false hope they give consumers. I also learned a great deal about a holistic-approach to beautiful skin - that means what you put in your body is just as, if not more, important than what we put on our skin!


It’s now Spring and that means more sun exposure and hotter temperatures in the months to come. That also means that the protection and nourishment we give our skin should be amped up accordingly. Naturally, avoiding unnecessary sun exposure is key to preventing DNA damage to our skin cells and photoaging. So that should be a top priority regardless of the season! I'm always thinking of new ways to improve my skincare regimen, and I've narrowed down my summer essentials to these 4-must haves.


Protect + Prevent. The best treatment is prevention. The environment can be quite harsh on your skin. And though resilient, skin is sensitive and needs to be cared for just as you would any other organ system - its the largest organ system, afterall! Damage to your skin can lead to obvious things like sunburns and aging, but also more insidious diseases like skin cancer. Basal cell carcinoma of the skin is the most common cancer in the world. The skin can also be affected by squamous cell carcinoma, and melanoma. The common factor behind all of these conditions is UV radiation from the sun.

Sunscreen. Make sunscreen your best friend and apply it to your entire face and neck every morning - even if you think you’ll be inside all day or if it’s cloudy out. Your skin will thank you now and in 20 years when you look younger than your peers. And if your activities require longer than minimal sun exposure make sure to re-apply accordingly! I make sure to apply sunscreen to my face, neck, upper chest and hands every morning. I’ve been using EltaMD UV Daily SPF 40 for the past three years and I love it. It’s light, moisturizing, and invisible under makeup or with a fresh face. It provides a physical UV block with Zinc Oxide, as well as a chemical block with Octinoxate. Whenever possible, try to find a sunscreen with a physical block, as chemical blocks can be irritating and unstable when exposed to UV. It is best to wear a sunscreen that is at least 30 SPF or higher to block both UVA & UVB rays.


C E Ferulic is an antioxidant combination that gives you an extra level of protection from photodamage by neutralizing free radicals. It also increases the firmness of your skin and erases hyperpigmentation (dark spots) over time. The really great thing about C E Ferulic is that it absorbs into your skin and remains effective for at least 72 hours. I try to incorporate this topical into my daily regimen as often as possible, but it is an absolute necessity in the summer months. The SkinCeuticals brand is super expensive, however. So I use a dupe by Skin Care Solutions which has the same formula and gives the same results.


Moisturize. No matter what your skin type, moisturizing is essential to maintain the integrity, firmness and health of your skin. Moisturizers increase the skin’s hydration by preventing evaporation. I discovered LUSH’s moisturizers last year and I couldn’t be happier. I’ve always had issues with moisturizers that sting or fail to soothe my face, and the list of ingredients on most products is overwhelmingly complex. My favorite LUSH moisturizer is Celestial. Vanilla water, almond milk, and dove orchid extract come together to keep your skin soft, soothed and glowing. LUSH is also a cruelty-free, vegan and fights animal testing - what’s not to love?

Correct. I get a lot of questions about skin from classmates and friends and the one thing I can’t stress enough is the importance of a retinoid. If nothing else, everyone should use a sunscreen and a retinoid. Topical retinoids pass through the cell membrane and mediate their effects by switching on genes that increase collagen production, increase vascularity and blood flow in the dermis (the deeper part of skin), and enhance the shedding of skin cells with excess melanin (fighting hyperpigmentation). The addition of a retinoid to your skincare regimen will correct past damage and make your skin more resilient to new insults. Ideally, people should start an anti-aging regimen at the age of 21, but it is never too early or too late to start protecting your skin appropriately. If you’re in the US, medical insurance will cover at least a portion of the cost for retinoid prescriptions up to age 30. If you’re over 30 or simply don’t want to get a prescription there are many high-quality retinoids on the market, like SkinCeutical’s. When starting a retinoid, begin with application once a week and work your way up to nightly applications as your skin starts to tolerate it.

summer skin ahhh

A daily routine using these products looks a little something like this:

Morning

  1. Cleanse face with cleanser of choice, I like Cetaphil’s Normal-Oily Cleanser

  2. Apply 4-5 drops of C E Ferulic to face and neck, allow to dry for 2-3 minutes

  3. Apply sunscreen or moisturizer+sunscreen mix

  4. Optional: non-comedogenic foundation, like this one


Night

  1. Cleanse face, pat dry

  2. Apply moisturizer

  3. Apply a pea-sized amount of retinol to face and neck


As with anything, make sure to read labels and instructions of individual products. Good things take time so don’t fret if you don’t see changes right away. If your skin is sensitive don’t try to add too many products at once, instead introduce changes to your routine slowly.


Have a great week 

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Hi Racquel,

    Thanks for the great tips. I am trying to find the Skin Care Solutions version of C E Ferulic and am having a hard time. Any pointers?

    ReplyDelete

Copyright 2017. All images and opinions are my own unless otherwise noted. Please contact me if you'd like to use any of my content.