Med School Interviews: MMI

4:24 AM

As a follow up to my previous post about the traditional interview format, I'll be discussing the multiple mini interview format and some advice for those who have been invited to an MMI. I’ll be going over a few points of advice as well as anecdotes from my own MMI experiences.

The MMI was developed initially by the Michael DeGroote School of Medicine at McMaster University in Canada in order to increase the reliability that the interview is an accurate indicator in evaluating a candidate, and to address two problems:  


  1. The critique that the traditional interview format was a poor predictor for performance in med school.

  2. The candidate’s ability to demonstrate non-academic skills like professionalism, ethical and moral judgment, as well as social skills.


The MMI process goes something like this: You will have a set number of mini interviews, though the number varies by institution. Before entering the room you will get a question/scenario and approximately 2 minutes to prepare an approach or response to the prompt. Once inside, you will have a short exchange with the interviewer (could be a med student, professor, actor, other) for 8 minutes. Sometimes you will be in a room with just the assessor, or in a room with an assessor and an actor, or sometimes a second assessor will be behind a partition like a double-sided mirror or video feed. I know this sounds stressful, but don't worry because it will go by so fast you will only have time to think about your response and not really anything else. Once the 8 minutes is over, the assessor will evaluate your performance while you wait at the next station. The entire cycle is repeated until all the stations are complete, which usually takes about 2 hours give or take. You will also have at least one "rest" station where there will be water, snacks and a chair to sit in - make sure you drink the water, you'll definitely need it from all the talking.

I participated in two MMI interviews along my interview trail. I was even more nervous about this format than the traditional interviews, especially since the questions are unpredictable. In general the questions touched on ethics, critical thinking, communication skills, and policy affecting health and society.

My first MMI was relatively standard: 9 stations including one rest station, two scenarios with "actors" where I had to solve a communication barrier or counsel a fellow "student," and the rest were either ethics or critical thinking-based. My second MMI was LONG - 18 stations, including 2 rest stations! This was by far the most tired I've ever been after an interview. It was also my most interesting. This one had about 4 traditional questions, 3 "acting" situations with a person watching behind a double-sided mirror, and a medley of other questions that I can't remember. Now I'm no expert on the MMI but I've been through a couple myself and seen many others. Here are a few things I recommend.

  1. The one thing you can read to prepare for the MMI is a review of medical ethics, because you will undoubtedly encounter at least one of these questions. These questions will center around the four cardinal tenets of medical ethics: autonomy, justice, beneficence, non-maleficence. Whether you understand the concepts fully or not, it will be in your best interest to at least have an idea. I read this overview by the World Medical Association before my interviews: www.wma.net/en/30publications/30ethicsmanual/pdf/ethics_manual_en.pdf. It's a worthwhile resource that has a few case studies. Plus it's something that you'll use throughout your medical career.



  1. Use the two minutes outside the room as efficiently as you can. Use the prompt to pull from your own experiences and opinions because answering the prompt directly will only take up a few minutes, and you’ll need to fill the rest of the time with other talking points.



  1. Stay calm and collected. The two minutes while you wait outside the room preparing your answer will feel like an eternity and the shortest two minutes of your life all at the same time. The other eight minutes will feel the same. The worst part, for me at least, was that the assessor/interviewer won't give you any clues on how you're doing - they will maintain relatively the same composure and tone. So you have to find ways to speak confidently while remaining calm.



  1. Be prepared for odd prompts or scenarios. I had two unexpected scenarios. The first was a an actor that played the part of a mentally disabled teen that needed me to teach him how to tie his shoelaces. It was pretty challenging especially because the actor’s role was to get very frustrated and verbally upset during the process. I couldn’t have prepared for this scenario at all other than remembering to stay calm, act with kindness and do my best to keep “teaching” him how to tie his shoes. The other odd scenario was a biostats question. The worst part was that halfway through the eight minutes the assessor showed up and walked me through my mistakes. The biggest piece of advice when it comes to weird or unexpected prompts is to take it all in stride and make it obvious that you’re trying your best.



  1. Be compassionate. The MMI is designed to better predict a candidate’s performance in med school and beyond. This includes being a compassionate physician that embodies the spirit of empathy and service. If a prompt suggest something along those lines, go with it - show them how human you are.



  1. Be absolutely genuine. I suppose the fast pace of the MMI probably does a better job of “weeding out” most of the false personas that the traditional interview can’t. Even if it is through prompts and scenarios, the MMI is the place for you to sell yourself and show why you will make a good fit for the school so why not be yourself?


Good luck. :)

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Copyright 2017. All images and opinions are my own unless otherwise noted. Please contact me if you'd like to use any of my content.