Vanilla Hemp Protein Shake

4:30 AM

Happy Friday, everyone!


I thought I would share my recipe for another quick, filling breakfast. Except this one you can take with you during your busy mornings! Most days I have enough time to make myself breakfast since I'm podcasting my lectures and studying for boards. But some days I have to run out of the house early in the morning and I need something quick to take with me. After doing some research I found this vanilla hemp protein by Nutiva back in December and I've loved it ever since. I had never bought any other protein shakes since I'm always a little skeptical of processing and quality standards. Nevertheless, I like Nutiva's mission statement and the ingredients of the protein shake itself. Plus I think it tastes wonderful and isn't too sweet! One package usually lasts me about 7 weeks if I use it three times a week.


 In order to get an added boost of fiber and some omega-3 fatty acids I throw in a bit of ground flax seed. Ground flax seed is flavorless and so versatile - you can add it to yogurt, smoothies or even thicken up some tasty sauces! As a base for my smoothie I use a one part almond milk and one part water to prevent it from getting too thick. Overall I've found that this combination of nutrients really helps keep me full and focused during my busy mornings. It's all about what works for you!


Things you'll need:


- some kind of blending device to get the mixture to a semi-homogenous consistency (I use a blender bottle)


- 1 cup almond milk {90 calories, 1 g protein}


- 1 cup water


-. 3 tablespoons hemp protein {120 calories, 5 g fiber, 10 g protein}


- 2 tablespoons ground flax seed {70 calories, 3 g fiber, 3 g protein}


Directions:


- join and blend all ingredients


Total protein - 14 g


Total fiber - 8 g


Calories - 280


IMG_6789


IMG_6790


IMG_6792


   Enjoy 

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. Hey, Did you add any sugar to it? I kind of followed your directions and find it sugarless LOL The reason behind this also might be that I ran out of almond milk and so added some skim milk to make it a cup full of milk. Also, you added refrigerated water, right? Sorry, I am not into cooking at all, so I might be asking you some foolish questions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't worry, those are great questions! I typically use vanilla almond milk that is already a bit sweet, but I'm also not a huge fan of sweets so I feel like I can taste even a small amount of sugar. And yes, I definitely added some cold water - otherwise it would taste a bit funny with warm water haha! Hopefully you can find a nice balance of ingredients :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your prompt reply :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG, I just checked the almond milk that I used LOL It was unsweetened almond milk which my mom got for her. I did not look at the details until you said it was vanilla almond milk that you used for your shake. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Copyright 2017. All images and opinions are my own unless otherwise noted. Please contact me if you'd like to use any of my content.